Friday 2 May 2014

Billy.... Briliant!

I love Musical Theatre, and I like to think I can be considered as quite knowledgeable on the subject too. I love the glitz and glamour of a rip roaring musical romp! On a recent evening in Ol' London town I decided to move from the West End glitz and see my friend, Adam Colbeck-Dunn, in a fringe production of the musical 'Billy'.

The show was on at the Union Theatre, which is basically a theatre space built between two buildings. It's a beautifully intimate venue (only seats about 50) and perfect for these smaller musicals. Having seen this musical a few times before I was looking forward to seeing how on earth it would work in such a tiny space, and with such a small orchestra. I was absolutely blown away by how good this show was. The cast were spot on, the direction and the choreography were wonderful and I loved how the MD had re-orchestrated it for a smaller venue and orchestra size.

I often get that feeling of inspiration from different theatre events and I certainly got it from 'Billy'. The business model of a small scale production, with minimalistic sets that the Union Theatre's production had in place has really encouraged me to see if I can develop similar projects in Calderdale.

I can not recommend this production highly enough, the cast are brilliant, the direction is so clever and the 40 year old score sounds as fresh as the day it was written.... and my mate Adam was pretty awesome in it too. Please, please, please book your tickets now and go see this wonderful production before it closes at the end of June. www.billythemusical.co.uk

ORIGINALLY POSTED ON 3rd JUNE 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment